Application for Permanent Account Number (PAN) online
Although PAN card is used to file tax returns,most of the people in the country use it as an identification document as well. As more and more number of people has started applying for PAN, Income Tax department has come up with an online method to avail PAN card .
Steps involved in applying for PAN card online:
- Firstly, visit the website of Income Tax PAN Services Unit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/.
- You come across various kinds of applications here including application for new PAN card, tracking status or correction in the PAN details.
- For those applying for new PAN, form 49A needs to be filled online. You can visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan2/servlet/NewPanApp and fill in your details here. Once the form is submitted, you receive an confirmation in form of a 15 digit acknowledgement number which can be printed for further use.
This 15 digit acknowledgement number must be sent to the IT department along with mandatory documents (address proof, identity proof, 2 photographs attached etc.) as mentioned in the form. You must ensure that your name is in the same format as you filled in the form 49A.
- In addition, you are required to pay Rs 96 as fee if the communication address lies within India. In case the address is outside India, you will pay Rs 962.
You can even pay your charges through demand draft, internet banking, and credit/debit card in the earlier case. You will receive payment receipt if charges paid online and you are required to attach it with your acknowledgement letter as payment proof. However, for the latter you can only pay through a demand draft.
- The acknowledgement form along with accompanied proofs must be sent to NSDL in Pune within 15 days of the online application date. The envelope must be subscribed with the words APPLICATION FOR PAN – Acknowledgement Number.
- Thereafter, you must wait for the payment received, if paid through cheque or demand draft. You must track your application status regularly. You can use tracking facility provided by NSDL by sending an SMS to 57575 or by typing SMS NSDLPAN-space-Acknowledgement No
The process for making needed corrections in the given details of your existing PAN card is same as the procedure for application of a new PAN card. You only have to select the option of Changes or Correction in PAN details on the home page of the Income Tax PAN Services Unit.